Re: Lubricants

From: Perez Oscar <PerezO@domain.elided>

> Looks like the lube thread is off and running-- so here's a few logs
> for the fire.
>
> Is there a specific brand out there that anyone could suggest for a
> Spider.  I have always been told that Synthetic is the way to go?
> True or false?

First, the second question.  Back when only single viscosity oil could
be had, the factories all specified the oil change interval of 1000
miles.  When multi-viscosity, detergent bearing oils came out, the
factories specified an oil change interval of every 3000 miles.  For
synthetic oils, the factories specify an oil change interval of every
7500 miles. That tells you what the guys who build the engines think
about synthetic oil

Also, I have seen a write-up of a comparison test between a mustang
running Red Line and an identical one running a multigrade.  after 100k
miles the insides of teh engine running Red LIne showed significantly
less wear.

As to a specific brand, avoid brands that have been marketing synthetic
oil for less than a year.  A number of companies have produced bad
batches (that clobbered engines) in the first year or two of
production. The first Synthetic oil was Mobil One.  Agip, Red Line,
Castrol are all excellent. I'm sure that there are more that I have not
named.

> Also- Is one synthetic better/different than another- Mobil, Castrol
> etc..

I like Mobil or Castrol simply because they seem to be th emost
available brands.

chrisp