Rev'ing up a healthy Alfa

Hi all,
My experience with driving std. transmissions is very limited,
I've only had my Alfa for 6 months, and it's the first 'stick' I've
ever had.  Watching my friends drive their cars - everyone seems
to shift from one gear to the next around 3000-3500 rpm.  My
question arises from the story Pat Braden wrote in the Alfa Owners
Bible, about the american who drove very "carefully" and spent
most of the time with his alfa in the shop needing repairs, while an
Italian driver who drove his Alfa HARD, never new what the inside
of his mechanic's shop looked like.

Although their is many ideas of the 'best' way to shift, what is the
"Italian" way to shift?

Today when my car was finally warmed up, with the needle within
the range on my temp gauge - I revved it to 4800 before each shift -
just to see what it felt like.
GOD does that feel good!  And I'm sure my Alfa liked it too, he
screamed so loud - like a 747 taking off.  It was almost like the
car blew cleaned his throat and started to sing.  You can definitely
feel the VVT kicking in...

Is this what Pat Braden's story was talking about?

Thx,

Jeff Nantais
'88 Spider Graduate
'69 Citroen DS21