164 pickup (ute in Australia)

Last night was windy in Melbourne. Windy enough to blow a tree onto our
carport roof, which in turn collapsed onto my 164. The roof now has a rakish
line straight from the windscreen to rear boot (trunk) lid.

The whole thing made a big mess, not a single panel is without damage, so it
is now a potential project for someone who wants a 164 ute. I expext the
insurance co. will write it off when the assesor arrives tomorrow. - It has
taken all of today to lift the roof off the car.

The real problem is what to buy next.

1993 - 1995 164's are available in Australia as seconhand imports frm Hong
Kong. Current stock in Sydney is a 1993 24Valve car at around AUD$36,000 and
a 1992 12V series 4 car at around AUD$28,000. Does anyone have any comments
regarding the reliability of the electronically controlled engine and
gearbox of the 24V car vs. the earlier 12v motor and hydraulic gearbox that
I am used to? Do the later models still have the stepper motor / elec seat /
etc gremlins? I believe that the 1993 cars got the Q suspension and steering
rack. I would love to hear from anyone with experience of these models.

For the amusement of US digesters the new car options are: (all ex stock)
156 twin spark manual AUD$45,000
156 twin spark auto (stick shift no clutch) AUD$55,000
156 V6 auto (predictive shift) AUD $65,000
We have the GTV and spider - but they won't fit my kids.

The 166 is due in Sept at around AUD$80,000

LEXUS IS200 (released Mar 29 2 litre 6 cyl rear wheel drive 156 sized)
Base model AUD$51,000
Sport model AUD$58,000

BMW 323i
approx AUD$70,000