Re: removing front springs, help

Tim Lentz wrote:

>I'm tearing apart my "parts" car in order to make room in the garage.
>I have everything off that I wish to keep except the front suspension.
>The spring compressors I have just will not fit in there and I'm
>looking for a way to remove the hub assembly without the spring
>unloading and killing me in the process.
>
>I've heard of the "thread rod" method but it seems like a lot of work
>(and time) for what appears otherwise a simple job. (I guess I should
>also mention that "all" other parts are off the car so there is very
>little weight there, so a jack under the pan will do no good)

The fastest way to get the old springs out of the way is to heat them
with an Acetylene torch in one or two spots until the spring collapses.
If you actually want to save the old springs, go get the threaded rod.
It's not that difficult. The torch idea is one of Tom Sahines' tricks. If
you're going to trash the old springs anyway, just put some weight on
them and heat them cherry red. It's safer than a Sawz-All.

The only spring compressors that work on 105/115 front springs are made
from a giant C-clamp with a channel on one end for the spring and a bar
on the other end to fit under the spring cup. I use 3/8-24 threaded rod.