Re: Oil in Plug Hole

Zamani wrote:

> Date: Wed, 24 Mar 1999 00:50:07 -0800 (PST)
> From: zamani zambri <zzambri@domain.elided>
> Subject: Oil in Plug Hole
>
> Hi Guys,
>
>         My Milano has this problem of having oil in the plug hole.
> Generally I would not be too concerned with this as new plug seals would
> solve the problem. But what worries me is the emulsion (mayonaise like)
> that coats the spark plug plastic leads every so often after I clean
> the hole and the plastic leads. What could cause the goo stuff? Could it
> be coolant? How does coolant get into the plug hole? My coolant tank is
> oil free and my dipstick shows absolutely no sign of coolant. The OILO
> cover is also coolant free as is the inside of the driver's side heads.
> Could it be the anti-seize mixed with oil. Sometimes I put on a generous
> coat of anti-seize on the threads of the plug. I do that because the DPO
> of the engine probably forgot to put on any. That caused the threads in
> the plug hole to fail. I have had spark plugs fly out of the engine while
> driving at 5000 rpm. Not fun.
>
> Any pointers or hints would be much appreciated.
>
> thank you.
>
> Zamani

Oil in plughole is no good, replace seals asap. Although oil itself is
nonconductive, it being in the plugholes can cause (mis)fires.

"Mayonaise" maybe oil with wd40? (antiseize stuff) but probably is just
oil and water. (btw. you should coat new plug's threads with a thin
layer of engine oil, not wd40 or something else)
Oh, and the plugs are ceramic, not plastic :)

Ever looked at your "cartervent" hose, there's a lot of 'mayo' too :)
("cartervent" is the one running from engine back to intake manifold)
Burned petrol also goes into the engine (pistons aren't _that_ sealing),
and the main product of pertrol burning is water.
All those gases are going upward and, normally are fed back to the
engine
through the "cartervent" tubing, if your seals are leaking the gases
(ie. mainly water vapour) gets mixed with the oil in your plugholes,
hence
the "mayonaise effect".

So, it's not coolant...

Plugs flying out is no fun, indeed. But this only happens when they are
put in to loose or oblique (with force)

Hope to've helped,
    Chris Piepers
    The Netherlands

"I know my english isn't that good, but if I spoke my native language,
you probably wouldn't understand me at all :))"