Re: Gas Smell

My '78 Spider had this problem too. At one point last summer, coming down
the mountains from Reno, NV to San Jose, CA, a huge vacuum built up in
the tank and crushed it. I finally found that the tiny check valve on the
evap control canister/fuel tank venting system was hanging up
occasionally. I removed it and simply plumbed a thin tube from the
fitting out the same hole as the fuel line. The gas smell went away after
that.

Godfrey