164 automatic durability

AlfaBill asks for opinions in #576 on ZF automatic durability. How
timely! Last Sunday I received a very comprehensive engine compartment
and chassis rust proofing job courtesy of a burst transaxle oil cooler
line. ATF is everywhere. My driveway looks like Prince William Sound at
low tide. Based on the amount of smoke that was generated a fire was a
distinct possibility. I guess the lesson here to 164 automatic owners is
to put these on your list of consumables that need changing just like
timing belts. Parts cost for both lines is about $160. My '91 has 67K
miles on it.

I'd appreciate any tips or words of wisdom on changing the hoses. It
looks like a very straightforward job.

As for the transaxle itself, I understand they are fairly reliable
pieces IF the fluid is changed regularly. All bets are off if it hasn't
been.

Mike Hollinger
Atlanta