Badging locations on the Touring-modified GTC

When I wrote that "Everything that I have in company literature, Fusi, and
third-party books suggests that all the stepnose cars - Giulia Sprint GT,
Giulia Sprint GT Veloce, GTA, GTC, GT 1300 Junior- had two,", I was jumping to
the unwarranted assumption that all the small rectangular blobs in the same
place on the front fenders said the same thing. I should have expected that a
badge on the Touring-modified GTC would say something else-

Jim Murphy corrected me, writing "Doing some research after I purchased my GTC
showed me that these cars had only the one Touring badge on the passenger
side."

The GTC photo in Fusi (p.613) shows the rectangle on the left (driver's) side.
Pignacca also shows it in the same place (p.19) and on the right (passenger's)
side in three photos on p.20. John Tippler's book on the Giulias shows it on
the right side on an English example (p.25). Richard Bremmer's book on the
Giulias shows it on the left in one of two photos credited to the company
archives. The Brooklands collection of road tests on the Giulia coupes
reprints an article from "Autocar", March 12 1965, on the occasion of the
introduction of the GTC at the Geneva show, with the rectangle on the right.

In recent correspondence with Loyd Heimbruch about a limited production
"Special Edition" car he has he mentioned that all examples he has seen differ
in certain respects from all photos he has seen in company literature and
magazine articles. The clear inference is that both company literature and
magazine photos tend to show the first prototype, and production examples may
incorporate some changes. Most, but not all, of the GTC photos I have seen
seem to be company photos and are presumably prototypes or early examples. The
GTC, with just 901 cars built in three years, was certainly more subject than
most cars to the incidental variations often expected from an artisanal shop.

In any case, I won't argue with Jim Murphy's research, and thank him for it. I
feel fairly certain that the smoothnose coupes and the Berlinas generally had
a "disegno di Bertone" badge on the right only, and that the stepnose coupes
generally had "disegno di Bertone" badges on both sides. I will gladly leave
GTC questions to GTC owners.

Pignacca does have one photo, p.52, of a first-series 1750 with the badge on
the left. That could be covered by the pre-production prototype premise, but I
am content to leave the topic behind. Les Singh wrote one of the Eternal
Verities: "You can bet that when Alfas are being discussed, there will always
be an exception."

John H.
Raleigh, N.C.

End of alfa-digest V7 #577