Re: Frankenstein

Michael Williams wrote:

>>Simon Writes:
>>In racing, all kinds of transplants take place. Perhaps the most amazing,
>>frightening, what-have-you I've heard of is that some of the Tipo 159
>>Alfetta engines (straight-8, DOHC, 2-stage supercharger, 400HP) made their
>>way into racing boats!!
>
>And do we want to guess what that Nardi Garage sale Alfa V-12 (that fetched
>112,000 GBP...about $200k USD?) will be shoehorned into? As it was sold to
>an 'Mericun maybe it will end up in a Vega or an Omega -Alfa Omega sounds
>pretty catchy...

Well, as I understand it, the 159 engines in boats were pretty much the
official Italian entry, with factory support, etc. so it wasn't really a
Frankenstein story. They did quite well, too. They must have made one
amazing sound!

Are you sure the Nardi was a V-12? Alfa didn't make many V-12's. In current
vintage racing tradition, the buyer probably plans to build a car around
the engine. It's like certain vintage airplanes that were "restored" from
little more than a set of plans and a shadow on the ground. There's also
the standard saying about Monzas, "Ten were built, of which 24 survive..."