rear spring removal, spider

     Peter Luxwolda asks:
     ...I have to remove the rear springs of my 1984 Spider, because one is
     broken. According to the manuals a special tool is required to be able
     to remove the bolt which is connecting the suspension arm to the rear
     axle bracket.
     Is there a save way to do this without this tool? Can I just push up
     the suspension arm with a jack untill the bolt can be removed and then
     lower the suspession arm to release the spring pressure, with the car
     supported on axle stands under the jacking points?...

     I have removed the rear axle assembly from my spider (82) with no
     special tools, when I replaced the rear shocks and T-arm bushings.
     First jack up the car and put it on jack stands. Then, using a floor
     jack, jack up the trailing arm on one side to just take up some spring
     pressure, to release the pressure on the mounting bolt. Slowly release
     the jack's pressure, to allow the axle to rest on the retaining strap.
     Do the other side in the same manner. When the axle is held by the
     retaining straps, it has almost no spring pressure left. The trailing
     arm will easily fall away.
     When the axle is out is a great time to replace the T-arm bushings in
     the rear. They can be purchased for a few dollars (USA Price) and the
     labor to install is minimal at this point.
     Good luck,
     Len