Re: Transplants

In racing, all kinds of transplants take place. Perhaps the most amazing,
frightening, what-have-you I've heard of is that some of the Tipo 159
Alfetta engines (straight-8, DOHC, 2-stage supercharger, 400HP) made their
way into racing boats!! In the Vintage racing area, there are Bobsy-Alfas,
Elva-Alfas, and Genie-Alfas running. These were all sports racers that
could take a variety of powerplants. At Concours Italiano last year, there
was a Formula B open wheel race car with a real twin-plug GTA engine
mounted amidships. The fellow who made my Formula Junior made some later
cars that would accept an Alfa, but I don't know of any surviving cars so
equipped. He also made engine adapters so you could bolt a Hewland
transaxle to an Alfa motor. Among the Formula B's and small-bore sports
racers, the Lotus twincam was the powerplant of choice. Oh well.

Then there is a street rod (Model T bucket?) with an Alfa V6 in front...