Re: Smoking '77 Spider

- -----Original Message-----
From: Ty Russell <trussell@domain.elided>

>I recently had a new battery and voltage regulator put into my '77 Spider.
>Shortly afterwards, while driving, smoke started coming out of the
passenger
>side firewall/glove compartment

A similar thing happened to me when I replaced the alternator on my (ex) 86
GTV6 with a 'rebuilt' one from an alternator place in San Jose.  Turns out
that the diodes were faulty somehow and caused most of the current to flow
via the diode voltage (green, as I recall) wire.  The insulation for that
wire burned to a crisp, causing smoke to come out from the area behind the
fusebox.

You may want to bench-check the alternator for your spider :( - I fixed mine
with another used alternator from Larry@APE and it worked fine for the two
years I had the car before I sold it.  (Had to replace the green wire, too)

Hope this helps,

Shahrol
currently in KL Malaysia