Smoking '77 Spider

I recently had a new battery and voltage regulator put into my '77 Spider.
Shortly afterwards, while driving, smoke started coming out of the passenger
side firewall/glove compartment (in the interior of the car). The smell was
plasticky, the engine temp was normal, and I noticed that the generator
light was glowing brighter than normal. It stopped smoking immediately when
the ignition was turned off. Does anyone have any experience with/ideas
about this kind of problem or suggestion about what to check? I'm assuming
it's some kind of wiring short.
Thanks,
Ty Russell