loose strut rod

My '77 spider seems to be exhibiting a lot of "character" lately. I think
I'm not spending enough time with it, so every time I drive it something
breaks. The LH front strut rod seems to be loose. It flexes where the thread
begins. Does this just mean I need to tighten the bolt that is on it, or do
I need to replace it? Also, I have another question: has anybody come up
with an accurate method to measure the transmission oil level? I'm sure it's
easy when you have a lift, and the car stays level, but of course if I put
it up on ramps all the oil will run to one end, and I won't know how much
I've got.
Thanks
Chris Keen
'77 spider