re: Dirty wheels

hi tim, you said:
>My daughter has a New Beetle--and the wheels are always filthy with a black
>powder.  I thought that this was from brake pad dust and would just go away
>as time went on.  The car has 6000 miles on it now and the problem
>continues.  Have I got the right diagnosis?  Can anything be done about it?
+++++++++++++++++++++++++++++++++++
you are rite that the black powder is brake pad dust, however the dust won't go
away 'til the pads are all gone!  :>)  obviously, you don't want this.  i'd see
if axxis metal master has pads to fit your car, i'd be surprised if they don't.
these pads don't produce much dust, and what they do produce is a light grey
color.

another option would be to get aftermarket dust shields, which install between
the hub & wheel, but, while the mfr's claim no reduction in braking efficiency,
i can't see how they would allow for the same cooling efficiency.  perhaps the
significance is not relevant, especially if a car is not driven hard?

ciao for now,

doug s.