dash replacement

To Keith Ahern, who had a dash replacement question:

While I thought that 84 was the last year of the "dual pod" dash, if the
85 has the dual pods, it will absolutely interchange with your 73. Even
if it doesn't, I have a feeling it will still interchange (they still
look the same). I did it with my 74, putting in a dash from an 84. The
only real difference is that, on the dash I had, there was a big metal
plate over the center portion (where the gauges go). I think this may
have been put in when the radio was changed from a dual-post to a euro
style (but I could be wrong).

Anyway, you'll notice that your old dash has holes for those four little
lights around the gauges and the "new" dash doesn't. Actually, if you
look at the back of the "new" dash you'll see that the holes are really
there, they just need to be drilled out. Be aware you'll need a **BIG**
drill bit to get them opened up properly, but after that you're set.

To maintain originality, you'll probably want to change the vents in the
new dash, replacing them with the ones from the old. Or maybe not... the
newer vents are much better designed. They'll fit right in though either
way.

Be careful removing the vents on the corners... they are held in with a
great big castelated plastic nut. Take a screwdriver and a hammer and
tap them sideways until they come loose.

Let me know if you have any questions about the actual removal process.
Good luck!

Scott Johnson
Alfa Spider FAQ Author