Murphy's noise

Rob wrote:
>I didn't get many responses to my query about a vibration noise I hear
>when I slightly lift on the throttle.  I got one response saying it may
be
>coming from the u-joints, however, I had these replaced about 2 months
>ago , so I hope it is not them.  How about the driveshaft support?
Isn't
>there a bearing there?  Could this be bad or loose or something?
>Are there any tell-tell signs of this center support going bad?

I didn't respond initially because I figured someone more knowing might,
but let me take a stab.  My center support bearing is going bad, but it
only vibrates upon driving away from a complete stop.  Your describe your
sound as happening whenever you lift - my guess is that the exhaust is
rattling against something.  My Spider does that, especially decelerating
down a hill at about 1500 rpm.  I put it up on a hoist, and could not see
any sign of damage, and even adjusted the multiple connections in the
exhaust system.  There was some improvement but there is still an
occasional rattle.  Rob, I wouldn't be surprised that you have a similar
problem, perhaps even because of the u-joint replacement and any slight
adjustments that might have been made at that time.

Gordy Hyde
1987 Spider
NWARC
Seattle, WA