misconceptions on drilled rotors and SS lines

Howard wrote:

>Subject: SS brake lines for GTV-6
>
>Does anybody know of a source of DOT-approved stainless steel brake lines
>and/or cross-drilled rotors for a GTV-6?  I would like to improve the
>braking power of the GTV-6, but for insurance and legal reasons I want to
>keep it street legal and DOT-approved.

Howard,

Cross-drilled rotors will NOT improve your braking.   Cross drilling is done
to lighten the unsprung weight on race cars.  It is fashionable on street
cars for the 'look'.  Actually brake effectiveness will decrease  and wear
will increase as you have reduced the surface area of the rotor.  Heat is
actually dissapated by heat sink action on the rotor, and again, you have
reduced the mass of the heat sink, not what you really want to do.

Cross drilled rotors are just like rear spoilers or wings on a street car,
for looks only.  You'll have no gains, but very slight decreases in braking
ability if you put cross drilled rotors on you car.

As far as SS brake lines, the DOT rating is allowed if the connections
between the fittings and the hose are NOT able to be disassembled.  Most SS
brake lines are attached with threaded connections, thus are not allowed DOT
approval.  For Earl's, and other high quality SS lines, this does not mean
that the non-approved SS lines are less safe, just that the connectors are
not permanently attached.

Mark Jones
Chevy Chase, MD
86 GTV6 w/ Earl's SS non-DOT lines