Re: unknown sensor

The sensor is/was for the catalytic converter (old style,
round one). It's what makes the overtemp light go on. Which
leads to your second question...

The air pump is unnecessary if you: A) live somewhere where
emissions aren't tested, or b) have a modern type of cat and
currently pass emissions testing.

As I understand it, the air pump was a hack included to help
the cars through California requirements. Catalytic
converters weren't quite as efficient in '79 so they
couldn't be counted on to consistently bring the cars to
compliance. GM did the same thing around that era.

Air pumps don't rob too much horsepower, but they can be
done away with if your car passes without them. Just don't
tell inspectors from the EPA I said so, because it's a
violation of Federal law to remove or disable
pollution-control devices on any car so equipped.

- - Nameless in Clearwater, FL who...
may or may not have a 1983 GTV6 who is joyfully back on the
road and
may or may not have a 1982 GTV6 parts car and is trying to
decide if he's going to sell any parts from it.