Unknown sensor

Hey cats,

I was investigating some clunking noise under my 79
Alfetta SV when I came across some sensor. It looked
like a tmperature sensor, like in air conditioners, a thin
rod at the end of a wire. It was thiner than an air conditioning
rod, though. About 4 inches long, with a 7 or 8 mm retaining
nut at the base where the rod meets the wire.
It appeared to have been tucked out of the way by being
shoved into the frame rail just behind the torsion bar.
The wire is braided steel and very slim. It runs up to and
then up the fire wall and then back down somewhere.
I have seen the braided steel wire on the fire wall and often
wondered where each end went. I wasn't investigating that
at the time so I didn't continue tracing.

Anybody know what it does?

I have a 74 GTV engine in this 79 car. Could it have anything
to do with that? Something fitted in 79 blocks that now has
no use?

The car was once equiped with air conditioning. Now
removed. But I have the temp sensor for that in a box.

Thanks for any help.

Stefano
Oakland, CA