adjusting wheel bearings

I realize there are fairly detailed spinning/torquing procedures specified
for adjusting front wheel bearings, but none of my torques wrenches reads
below about 25 ft/lbs, and I wouldn't trust the average torque wrench to
adequately measure the difference between 6 and 13 ft/lbs anyway.  I too
have used the "calibrated elbow" method to tighten, spin, check, tighten,
spin, loosen, etc., then back off to the next available castellation for 25
years, without a failed bearing yet.  Now that I've said that, probably all
my wheel bearings will fail.

Andrew Watry