Milano Ball Joints

I was told by an alignment shop that my Milano needs a new upper ball
joint on the passenger side.  I've never worked on ball joints so I'm
looking for some advice.

1.  How much should replace while I'm at it?  I was told that only one
ball joint was bad, should I just replace that one or do the lower and
the tie rod end also?  I'm not looking to do a complete rebuild of my
front suspension, just what is prudent.

2.  What about tools?  Do I have to buy the official ball joint remover
for $48.95 from IAP or can I just use the pickle forks sold for $12 at
the local auto parts stores.

3.  I'd appreciate any procedural help anyone can give me.

Thanks
Scott Swanberg, St. Paul, MN
'87 Milano Platinum