Electrical Help - Alfa164 (Part Identification) AKA - Annoying TICKING!

Under the glovebox there appear to be three different electrical items
(boxes) in my 91 164.  One I assume to be the ECU (large Grey metal); the
other two are boxes encased in white plastic. Both are labeled as "Veglia
Borletti" - they connect via a staggered 12 (flat) pin connector to various
wires coming out from under the dash.

One of them has begun to "tick" at a high rate of speed.  The ticking is
very fast and can be altered by shaking or moving the entire unit.  The
ticking is very loud.

 I removed the plastic casing and have found two large black resistors
labeled NEC Japan 12 9J2 MR301, a red round something and varous other
soldered connections.

I am (obviously!) not an electrician and have NO idea what this whole unit
is and what it does.  More importantly I cannot figure out what's making
this TICKING!

Whose had this problem?  What had to be replaced?  And before you yell at
me for taking the damn thing out, I'm puting the whole thing back in.

Thanks in advance...

M. Taylor Smith
MTaylorS@domain.elided
TSmith@domain.elided