re: Unobtainable Plastic Part Needed

Thanks to those who replied online or offline.  The consensus from the plastics
companies in this area is that this part cannot be welded.  The material is
dissimilar to any standard available welding plastic.  The stuff is sort of
polyethylene, but not quite, so nothing will stick to it.  Having it be 35
years old and soaked in brake fluid for all those years didn't help either.

The known habit of Alfa to mix and match parts during series production has
come to the rescue in this case, as I can substitute the other style without
affecting the correctness of the car. One observer noted that I could
substitute a metal reservoir as well.  I have never seen one of those, but if
this plastic can cracks, I will start looking for one.

Has anyone looked into remanufacturing a short run of the original style of
brake reservoirs?  Maybe after the GTV6 coolant tanks get remanufactured.

>  From: James Murphy <jmurphy>, on 3/8/99 12:09 PM:
>  I am in need of a plastic brake fluid reservoir for a 1965 Guilia GT.
<snip>
>  Or, has anyone ever done plastic welding successfully on this type of part?

- -Jim Murphy
NUERA Communications, Inc.
http://www.nuera.com
1983 Spider