No Subject

Stuaert Thomson wrote:
"I would have thought that a shot cat converter wouldn't produce any H2S,
as the catalyst wouldn't reduce the sulphur oxides to H2S, but I stand
ready to be corrected.

I also assume that the cat mentioned in the post wasn't of the feline
variety."

If it was the feline variety, it wouldn't really smell like sulfur, so . . .

But seriously -

My understanding is that a 3-way cat, which most later models are, both
oxidize (to get rid of unburned hydrocarbons - to CO2 adn H2O) as well as
reduce (to help get rid of oxides of nitrogen)  If you have on O2 sensor,
which helps control the mixture in the incoming charge, then there may a
chance that the cat is a 3-way.....

If something ain't working right, there could be a reducing environment in the
cat, leading to the rotten egg smell of hydrogen sulfide (H2S), which is
reduced sulfur, if anyone cares.  I will leave it to the mechanical experts to
explain what may not be working right.  Catalytic, fuel injection calibration,
impurities in the fuel, I dunno.

Jay Negrin
Alfetta GT (simple, open ended - one-way, oxidizing cat - brand new I might
add)
ARO Southern California