164 purchase help

Hi Dennis,

I have a 95 164Q [67k to date] which is essentially a 24V S. It has the
adjustable suspension and I had the same concern when I bought the car. The
conclusion I came to [after consulting with other alfisti] is that granted
the shocks are more expensive to replace than the 164L's [actually about
$600 per shock] but the other S mods are worth having. If the suspension
goes, I plan to install a good pair of konis and disable the electronic
system.

No experience with the side mirror paint, sorry can't help there. If they
aren't a difficult color you may find them on a parts car.

As for the 164 in general some quick things to look for:

Be sure it was a reputable shop that did the timing belt and it had the
tensioner upgrade done sometime or another [does this apply to the 93??].

Check the steering rack/ boots for leaks.

There was a fuel filler hose recall, I'm not sure if it was applicable to
the 93, but check this out.

Look at the exhaust, paying special attention to the joints, particularly if
it is a NE car. It's nice to put a stebro in, equally nice to knock the
price down for a rotted exhaust.

Check the HVAC system for strange sounds or other warnings of imminent
failure of the stepper gears.

Check the 164 home page tech notes for other owners experience. There is
some valuable data there. /alfa/FAQ/164/notes0.htm

Best,
dave s.
95 164Q
83 Aston Martin Lagonda