water pump

Hi Bob,
I just went through this (as a beginner) and removed the studs instead of
the pulley. The only thing I did differently to what everybody recommended
is that I removed three studs (the two lowest ones, and then the next one up
from the bottom on the driver's side). Even then it took quite a bit of
wiggling the thing around to get it to clear the tach drive gear. But I
think it was still a lot easier (and cheaper) than renting an impact wrench
to remove the crank pulley. And the new one was relatively easy to get back
in. If you want step-by-step directions (from memory) let me know.
Chris Keen
'77 spider
'97 Golf
Los Altos, CA