Re: alfa-digest V7 #548

alfa@domain.elided,Internet writes:

>Date: Thu, 11 Mar 1999 11:21:41 -0500
>From: "Sedon, Doug (OD)" <sedond@domain.elided>
>Subject: Wheel bearing free play?
>
>hi all,
>
>my old wolwo shop manual said to torque wheel bearing nuts to 30ft-lbs, then
>back-off the nut 1/3 of a turn.
>
>while we're talking alfas, not wolwos, i've had good luck w/this basic
>philosophy.  i also find it works best if you keep the wheel turning while
>you're torquing the nut.  mebbe i'm bad, but i usually forego any torque wrench
>now, i yust tighten the nut until  i can feel the wheel just starting to bind
>as
>i'm turning it, then i stop titening, & turn the wheel a few more times. after
>this, i back off the nut to the next notch, and insert the cotter pin.
>
>the last time i did wheel bearings, on my milano werde, i used that special
>bearing-greaser tool - kinda like two funnels - stick the bearing in between
>'em, hook it up to a grease gun & squeeze.  yer done when the grease starts
>oozing thru the rollers...  i also used mobil 100% synthetic grease for the 1st
>time.  this method seems to have given me the best results, it's what i'm gonna
>use from now on.
>
>good luck,
>
>doug s

Here are the directions for an 82 GTV6
Oil the axle thread
Tighten nut to 2 -2.5kgm and rotate wheel at the same time
Slacken nut  and retighten to .5 - 1 kgm
Turn the nut 90 degrees and fit split pin.  If the split pin cannot be fitted,
turn the nut by the smallest amount possible to align the hole.
Tap against the end of the stub axle using a mallet and check that the washer
is not locked.  It should be possible to move it with little effort using a
screwdriver.  If the washer is locked, remove the split pin and slacken to the
next hole.  Tap again and check the washer clearance.