'89 164 Motronic

Hi,

	All 164s came with Motronic. Maybe the earlier ones like yours
which probably did not come with a cat converter uses the M 1.7. I
suspect this model needs the bosch tester to give you the code. Later
catalysed model probably use the ML 4.1 or even a 1.7. I am not sure. My
'96 155 V6 uses the M 1.7 and has a cat. It also gives error codes. My
dad's '93 164 3.0 has no cat, uses the M1.7 and does not give error codes
unless you use the bosch/magneti-marelli tester. All very puzzling
actually.