Re: steering wheel rnr/ign sw rnr

Thanks to all those who responded to my questions on steering wheel removal and
related questions.  Perhaps with a little more care I could have removed the
wheel without stripping the threads, but I am still learning how to be patient
enough not to damage stuff when doing this, although my overall experience with
total GTV6 dissassembly has not been too bad in this regard.  It helps to have
another car as a daily driver, so I don't have a deadline to meet.  Also it
sounds like time to seek out my local AROC chapter for the loan of
Alfa-specific tools.

It also seems that my fake wooden wheel is original.  Disappointing perhaps,
but as I said now I don't have to worry about impaling myself on it in an
accident.  It may also be why it hasn't been chewed on by the myriads of mice
which had apparently taken up residence before I bought the car.  As far as the
flaking varnish, I think I will try some kind of urethane finish, with a
thorough degreasing first and perhaps some roughening with steel wool.  If it
doesn't work, it probably won't look any worse than it does now, and I will go
in search of the leather covers suggested by John Hertzman.

Thanks to all,

Dave J.
1982 GTV6 (almost reduced to a bare bodyshell)

- --