Wheel bearing free play?

hi all,

my old wolwo shop manual said to torque wheel bearing nuts to 30ft-lbs, then
back-off the nut 1/3 of a turn.

while we're talking alfas, not wolwos, i've had good luck w/this basic
philosophy.  i also find it works best if you keep the wheel turning while
you're torquing the nut.  mebbe i'm bad, but i usually forego any torque wrench
now, i yust tighten the nut until  i can feel the wheel just starting to bind as
i'm turning it, then i stop titening, & turn the wheel a few more times. after
this, i back off the nut to the next notch, and insert the cotter pin.

the last time i did wheel bearings, on my milano werde, i used that special
bearing-greaser tool - kinda like two funnels - stick the bearing in between
'em, hook it up to a grease gun & squeeze.  yer done when the grease starts
oozing thru the rollers...  i also used mobil 100% synthetic grease for the 1st
time.  this method seems to have given me the best results, it's what i'm gonna
use from now on.

good luck,

doug s