Re: Towing

Ahh, touched a nerve, did we? ;=) The thing about towing is that the ring
and pinion are CONSTANTLY in mesh on the wrong gear faces. Yes, those gear
faces come into contact when you use the engine for braking, but it is not
constant by any means. There are a couple of other things to point out. A
ring and pinion is a hypoid gear train. Not only is the pinion below the
centerline of the ring, but the teeth are curved. If the teeth were meant
to be driven constantly in the other direction, they would be curved the
other direction. Lastly, the fact that you are spinning the driveshaft as
well means that the mainshaft of the tranny is spinning inside every gear
wheel without the benefit of having the gears moving the oil around. If it
was my car being dollied, I'd pull the driveshaft for that reason alone.
Pulling the driveshaft, or at least the front section, would also reduce
the wrong-way wear on the diff. Obviously, people have flat-towed and
dollied Alfas before, but I still don't like the idea. I seem to remember
reading somewhere that if you are flat-towing a car without pulling the
driveshaft, you are supposed to stop every so often and start the motor
just to circulate the tranny oil.