Re: GT Veloce crankshafts

Peter

As far as I'm aware, crankshafts for 1750s were not nitrided but a nitrided
crank was available for competition. Other markets (not New Zealand) may
have had the nitrided crank fitted as standard - I don't know. The "1750"
nitrided crank that you were referred to was probably from the Alfetta 1.8.
I think I'm correct in saying that there are hassles in using this crank in
a GT Veloce because of the drillings for the flywheel which don't match,
but it can be done. We adapted an Alfetta 2.0 engine for use in a Giulia
Sprint GT and that was a major hassle because the crank being nitrided was
very difficult to drill.
The 2000 GTV Veloce nitrided crank cannot be used in the 1750 because the
bore centres hence the journal spacings are different.

As John H has pointed out, GT Veloce is the correct designation for the 105
series coupes but most people just call them GTVs. The confusion arises
because people also refer to the GTV2000 and the GTV 2.0. which are the
Alfetta coupes, as GTVs, and to make matters worse the GTV6 gets lumped
into this bunch also! To me the 2000 GTV is a 105 series, and the GTV2000
an Alfetta...... confused? Everyone is!

Les in Wellington, New Zealand
getting set to make several postings to the US and other places - thanks
for waiting patiently Pat Braden, George Caracatsanis et al.......

End of alfa-digest V7 #541