Interior coolant leak

Gordon Wrote:

>I'm a newbie to this list<snip>..  I've got a 164TS (RHD) that is leaking
coolant on the carpet!
>Can't see where it is coming from, probably means a dashboard removal to =

Gordon-- Welcome to the digest..
Disclaimer:  I don't own or have a 164, (yet), but have suffered the coolant
leak in other cars.

In case you don't get any other responses, I hope this helps.  From my
experience this is the heater core.  It's a small radiator like part of the
heating system usually located somewhere under the dash, usually pass. side.
The heater core will be encased in a plastic box where the air for your
heating system passes through and is warmed by your warm coolant fluid.  I
don't know about the 164, but in some cases you do not have to remove the
dash to replace the core.  There will be two metal tubes on the core-
input// output- disconnect tubes and the core should pop right out.  The
hard part about this job will be the tight work space.  Again, hopefully
some 164 owners will reply for specifics -but- as far as price- if a new
core is cost prohibitive- any radiator shop should be able to repair your
core for a reasonable price.  Good luck..

Oscar Perez
speedway, IN