re: 164: Excessive Coolant Temperature Light ON

David,

I am experiencing a similar problem.  The light was on for me even when
the car was cold, which indicated an open condition on the switch.  On
my 3.0l 164, the temperature sending unit is attached to the t-stat
housing on your drivers side where the upper coolant hose connects.  The
unit has two wires attached, one for the gauge and one for the idiot
light.  I've heard of the unit going bad, but I'm attempting to salvage
mine hoping the electrical connection is at fault.  I've applied some
stabilant 22 to see if, in the long run, it will make a difference.

Cheers,
Carl Prochilo
1991 164