Another Stepper Motor Story

Some of you may remember I commented on the fact that my 164 was not
delivering heat, and was hearing clicking noises behind the dash.  I
brought it into a reputable Alfa mechanic up in Albany, NY and had the
problem diagnosed and repaired.  In the process, I graduated from
stepper motor 101 class.  The 164 uses two bosch motors attached to a
metal bracket.  One serves the purpose of redirecting air to floor, to
front panel and/or windshield.  The other server as an air blend door to
control temperature by mixing hot and cold air.  On my 164, this had
failed.  The only good news was that this stepper motor was easier to
get at than the panel redirect, and saved me a few $$ in labor costs.
The part cost me $290

As an outcome of only replacing one of the stepper motors, I now have a
brand new stepper motor and bracket.  I'm leaning towards selling it.
If anyone has a need for the air redirect stepper motor, contact me
off-line.

BTW, despite the fact I have to drive 1 hour to reach a decent Alfa
repair shop, I feel that I am well supported for maintaining the Alfa
and actually have two good shops to choose from!

Carl Prochilo
1991 164