Niki Lauda Spider

Jason wrote "I am trying to restore a 79 Niki Lauda Spider.  I have gotten
some
conflicting reports on what ground effects were on it.  some say it was just
the rear spoiler and front air dam, and some say there were some special
skirts that went all the way around the car. Does anyone really know? Also I
am trying to track down some pictures of that car and a source for the racing
stripes that went on it."

Gordy Hyde (who bears more than his share of grief for trying to help others)
suggested "Try page 126 in Joe Benson's book for a picture.  It only mentions
the rear deck spoiler and decal package.  "

The only thing I know about the Niki Lauda Spider  is what I learned from Loyd
Heimbruch:
" I do not trust photos in magazine articles, nor do I trust the Alfa sales
brochures to accurately depict the way special edition Alfas actually appeared
in regular production.  I purchased my Niki Lauda spider new in 1978, and it
differs from the sales literature, the "Autoweek" article and the "Motor
Trend"
article in a number of ways. - - Also, the Niki Lauda spider photo in Joe
Benson's "Illustrated Alfa Romeo Buyer's Guide" is not a Niki Lauda spider.
The photo does not show any decals or badges and has pre-1975 bumpers.  It is
a 1973 or 1974 spider with a rear spoiler and side molding attached.  The Niki
Lauda spider was produced in 1978."

Full credit for a good try, Gordy. Loyd's address is
Loyd.Heimbruch@domain.elided.
Good luck, Jason.

John H.
Raleigh, N.C.