Re: Milano speakers

Hi all,

Damien asked:
>> Has anyone replaced the crappo rear speakers in a Milano?
>>
>> What fits without modifications?  Has anyone put 6 X 9s in?  How much
>> modification was required?
>>
>> How do you get the damn grills out of the rear parcel shelf?
>>
>> What size fits in the front door spaces?

I recently went through this with help from various digesti.  The rear
speakercages  are for 5 1/4 unless you want to do some mods.  Joel told me
he put 6x9's in a Milano years ago and it involved cutting metal, I believe.
Surely you could put 6x9 or 6 1/2s in the rear without cutting IF you don't
mind having them stick up from the shelf and build a custom cage to hold
them.  The grills just clip on - pry them off on each side with a putty
knife or screwdriver.

I put 6 1/2' rounds in the doors.  They barely fit and I had to shim them
back form the door panel with nylon spacers but it wasn't hard.  Others
highly recommended mounting the door speakers to the metal door frames
rather than the door panels but I got lazy and just used the original
mountings.  I am not playing heavy bass and I'm sure the door panels would
be rattling if I did.  In fact I need a subwoofer to get real bass happening...

Have fun - the sound in my car is quite good though the bass is lacking.
The 6x9s would no doubt be better on that count.

Chris Lesher
Boulder CO