RE: Milano brakes: the saga continues (long)

Hi all,

Here's my 5 cents (smallest amount available in
Holland) :)

This is what I sent to Will Owen earlier, (he's having lots of problems
bleeding his breaking system).

Not quite chronologically . . .
Usually, when the pedal comes higher after two strokes or so, it means
the master brake cylinder needs revision. Well, mine did . .  :)

He replied: "It's been renewed."

<new reply>
Well, that doesn't say much, the last time I bought a new one, it
leaked! had been lying on the shelf for too long (warranty luckily)
<end new reply>

(...)

The "grunting" you describe can come from badly aligned front calipers.
They have a "one way" fitting. About 2/3 of the caliper's "push" end
(where it touches the pads) is raised, for "anti-squeek" purposes,
The raised ends should point to the rotor's turning direction.

(I have a picture showing this, if you anyone wishes I can send it)
Alfa has a special tool for aligning the calipers.
The tool numbers are:
A.2.0149 to set the calipers
and A.2.0148/1 to check them.
(these are old Alfa numbers, I don't know the new ones)

If assembled incorrectly (i.e. the 180deg around) you get the
"grabbing" brakes you mentioned.

Will also mentioned his "engineers" had put the front calipers on
upside down (The right one left, and the left one right. With the
bleeder valves downward).
I question the capacity of your engineers Will!

Might be they never saw an Alfa before, but assembling it like that??

I also posted the following message to digest #511 (which nobody seemed
to have noticed) :(

(...)
The other night I was reading a bit in my new Alfetta Workshop Manual,
which I recently bought from http://www.motorbooks.co.uk (not a plug)

When I turned to the chapter on "bleeding the brake system", I had
sort of an eye-opener. The manual (Original Alfa Romeo publication)
stated: "Bleeding should be done on front and rear brakes...
*SIMULTANEOUSLY*. The bleeding valves should be closed in the following
order: front, inner aft, outer aft. They advise to start on the RH side
of the car.

I never did it this way, but am sure gonna try it.

(Although it's for the Alfetta Sedan, the (non-ABS?) Milanos have the
same braking layout)
(...)

And from personal experience I can tell you this:
Two weeks ago, I put new breaking pads in the front.
All seemed well, until I couldn't brake no more ....
It turned out to be the calipers, they were leaking!
Bought a revision set (HFL20,00 = $ 10,00 well about)
Revised front calipers, bled them (the usual way), soggy pedal!
Damn! This was Saturday 11pm and Sunday am we had a
"puzzle tour" with the club ( http://www.alfaclub.nl )
"What the heck!" I thought, "I can get to a hold if necessary"
Of I go . . .
Now, two weeks later, my pedal is normal!
Must be the AROO ( http://www.alfaclub.org ) theory proves right . . .
"Hit your pedal like a madman, 20 times in a row, let stand for a few
hours, and do it again . . . now you've bled your system"
(my brakes sure saw hell on the tour :)))))

On mounting "braided steel lines" as Alan Lambert suggested . . .
I WOULD, IF ONLY I HAD THE MONEY!
These babies are expensive! and when I can solve a problem at no, or
little expenses, that's my favorite!

And Alan, a revision set is always cheaper, you know what they cost?
Two new front calipers?? over HFL300,= that $150 for you . . EACH!

Anyway, my advise to Will is still, "Check your master brake cylinder,
revise the calipers, and use the bleeding method I mentioned."

There.

My 5 cents (see above)

Hope to've helped.

Chris Piepers
The Netherlands

'81 Alfasud Sprint Veloce (for nostalgic reasons)
'83 Alfetta Q'Oro (daily driver, since the Milano is waiting for it's
new heart)
'86 75 2.5V6 (Milano)
(I just LOVE those transaxles)

End of alfa-digest V7 #522