Re: V-6 injectors

Before you go into this make sure you buy 3 injector seal
sets. Reusing the old rubber is not a good idea. No worries
though, the sets cost about $1.50 each at NAPA. Ask for the
Echlin part #2-12083. You might want to consider replacing
all 6 seal sets, as worn ones create pretty serious vacuum
leaks. Also pick up some 5/8 fuel injection hose (about a
foot and half) and some hose clamps to fit. Don't buy the
clamps that have the little slots...they'll tear up the hose
over time.

Replacing the hoses is a time-consuming but relatively easy
job. Basic disassembly as far as the intake manifold and
fuel lines go. Remove the fuel regulator (be careful, as the
system stays pressurized...a good amount of gas will come
out) and un-bolt the injector mounting plates. Remove the
rail and injectors as a unit.

If you've got stock injectors, they'll be crimped on.
Getting the hose off takes some care and patience. Go ahead
and cut the hose in the middle and then carefully cut the
hose vertically down to the cup-like washer that's at the
rail and at the injector. Then delicately cut 'down to the
bone' around the hose side of the cup-washers. Remove the
now-free hose to reveal the metal nipple on the rail and on
the injectors.

Using some sort of sharp pointy tool, VERY carefully start
digging the remaining hose out of the 'cup.' When all the
hose is gone the cup-shaped washer will slide right off. Cut
new hose to fit and re-assemble. Careful though...once you
push the new tubing on, it's quite hard to get back off
again so don't forget to put on the hose clamps!

As far as a source for a new injector, the usual parts
suspects (International Auto Parts, etc.) charge about $80
or so for new. Call AlfaBill at Mastro for new genuine Alfa
replacements or ask him if he's sold the other rail/injector
set from Mastro's parts car (I bought the first rail from
their Milano with a GTV6 engine.) He can be reached at
1-800-683-ALFA.

If all else fails, I'll sell you one of mine for $40 +
shipping. E-mail me off digest if that's the way you want to
go.

Heck, depending on what the d**ned insurance company decides
to do and what I might buy, I might be able to sell you a
whole 83 GTV6 engine complete with Sperry Stage 3 heads!
Just kidding...if they decide to total and I'm able to buy
the salvage, I'll be shopping for a new shell for that
engine...Stephen Shapar's Milano (from AD #512) in DC sounds
like a good candidate.

- - Eric H. (that's Hambleton for Mr. Zelazny) in Clearwater,
FL
1983 GTV6 in insurance company limbo