Blown motor

Hi folks,

And now a moment of silence for my late engine...  Yesterday while shifting
from 3rd to 4th at 6500 rpm, the throttle on my '69 GTV stuck wide open.
The engine proceeded to do its best F1 impersonation, spinning from its 6500
rpm starting point to F1-like levels before I could reach the key to shut
her down.  Upon restart, the motor made the kind of sound mechanics love and
owners hate.  I had planned on doing the head this month and *possibly* the
rest of the engine, so although this is a major pain, it is not a complete
shock.

The engine is/was a 2000 w/40DHLAs and performance cams (7L exhaust, 8
intake).  After checking around, I've determined that I can rebuild the
engine to like new standards and perform a number of modifications (ported &
polished head, 10:1 pistons, lightened flywheel, balanced components, etc.)
for about $3000.  I hate to spend the money right now, but I also don't want
to go back inside the motor later this year to replace something that I
could have done while it was apart (the motor was pretty tired).

Given the cost associated with the rebuild, I was wondering if there were
any other options, such as a used Twin Spark, that I should explore?  I like
the idea of a "new" rather than used engine, but I also like the idea of a
more modern powerplant.  Is there a source for low-mileage Twin Sparks at a
reasonable cost?  How difficult is the conversion?  Am I better off just
sticking with a performance rebuild of my current engine?

Thanks,
John
Seattle, WA
'69 GTV