76 Spider temp and heater hoses

In the past week my 76 Spider temperature gauge has begun to act
strangely. Normally (for the past 2 1/2 years) the needle would
indicate a consistent 180 degrees. Lately the needle has been very
erratic, jumping from about 130 to 210. This afternoon (60 degrees) it
shot up and stayed at 212.

My first guess is the thermostat. Any other possibilities I might look
at?  The radiator was cleaned and pressure tested in December (after I
borke the drain spigot off), and I haven't had any problems.

I plan to replace the heater hoses very soon, and was wondering if any
one can tell me what the correct name is for the connection where the
upper hose connects to the engine block. Mine appears to be leaking,
and I was curious if that item or items are replaceable, and if so,
what do I ask for when I try to order them?

Thanks in advance.

==

Phil  D
AROC 38653