Re:Crankshaft Pulley -- Is there something I need to know?

David Willis writes...

 This is a '74 2000 Spider. The crankshaft pulley appears to be held on
with
 a bolt or machine screw; not the nut that appears in the shop manual

 Is this mother left-hand threaded, by any chance?

David, the crankshaft pulley nut may look like a bolt but it's really a nut
that completely covers the threads of the crankshaft and also serves as the
sealing surface against the front crankshaft seal. The nut is 38mm but I
remove them with a 3/4 inch drive 1.5 inch socket on an air wrench. There is
a lock tab to bend back before you do remove it. It should be tightened to
140 ft/lbs so be prepared to lock the crankshaft somehow when reinstalling.
I use a flywheel ring gear lock with the transmission removed. Not sure how
you would retorque it with the transmission installed. Maybe you could use
one of the bolts from the tail yoke pulled out to lock against the
transmission case with the tranmission in a tall gear, like 5th or 4th. I
wouldn't advise just putting it back on with an air wrench. You wouldn't
know how tight it was. If you are removing it don't forget to replace the
front seal. Oh, and the threads are normal right hand.

Ciao

Phil Williams
3 spiders and a platinum