Re: suds &33s

> Well I hope you are not including the 'Sud in "most of them".
> The motoring press of the day were in general agreement that
> the AlfaSud was not only the best handling front wheel drive
> car in the world, but also one of the best handling cars,
> regardless of which end the drive was applied.

Totally agree.  In the UK the car that did make it in the late 70's early 80's  was
the VW golf (rabbit) - but its advanatge was one of image - i.e no rust and
apparent reliability.  The sud was a better car.  My best ever sud/33 was probably
my first little 1186cc TI - nothing since seems to have been so chuckable. ..

> However many would say that the 33 with outboard front disks,
> rear drums and slightly softer setup was a backward step from
> the 'Sud. Certainly in comparison with other cars of it's day,
> the 33 was still good, but when you compare the AlfaSud against
> other small cars from 1972-83, the 'Sud was not just good, it
> was way ahead of the field.

I agree about the 33 versus sud.  the first 33s were designed as ford escort rivals
and so had blandness designed in.  Didn't really work, so actually bothered to put
better engines in.  My last 33 I have (1990) does seem so unrefined compared with
my 155 though.

Andrew