Re: Spica vs. Webers - from R&T in 1973

Then why was is it that my '79 Spider's engine had a lower
US HP rating than it's Continental counterpart?

Right, things like cast iron headers that one could barely
fit one's thumb into and retarded timing and de-tuned Spica
had a lot to do with it.

All told, though, I was much happier after I converted that
car to Webers -- way back in 1984 when this part of Florida
did not check emissions. With simple foam 'socks' for air
filters and the larger throats of the carbs, the car had a
beautiful sound. The carbs added a little delay to the rev,
but I wasn't racing the car -- just driving it.

And being able to see the orchestrated opening of that many
throats on a 4-cylinder engine was just plain cool (it even
impressed my-muscle-car driving friends...that and when I'd
kick their a**es on twisty roads.) Of course, this vision
was seen during the semi-routine 'balancing act' -- making
sure induction was the same between those four mouths (using
my dad's balancing gauge that had sat unused in his tool
chest since 1972 when he gave up HIS baby -- a hard-top
Porsche 356.)

Plus the added bonus of having a fuel pump that could be
purchased at most any auto parts store for less than a
pay-check ($20 vs. $150 for the very high pressure Bosch
pump on the Spica systems) was very beneficial to a lad in
college.

It would never fly nowadays...here, now.

I'd always disliked the Spica system when I had it and when
the injection pump went bad and I was faced with a $700
replacement cost, the $350 Weber conversion was a joyful
alternative. It seemed one step toward that idyllic 150 HP
that the Europeans were supposed to be enjoying. (I added
hot cams and a breathy exhaust and might have gotten there,
too...never had it dyno'd, though...too busy DRIVING.)

However, if I had to do it all again I would have opted for
some sort of refit using the L-Jetronic system...it seems a
lot more user friendly. But that's my V-6 experience
talking, I know. At the time I didn't know that by tweaking
the Spica system you could IMPROVE performance. I learned
that here on the digest...

It almost makes me want to start shopping for a Spica
Spider. <grin>

- - Eric H. (feeling nostalgic on a Sunday night -- with my
damaged and un-drivable GTV6 in my driveway still awaiting
its fate)