164 Surging

I have a '91 164L that I just love.  I've owned a lot of very interesting
cars over the years, but this is definitely one of my favorites.  It seems
to have its share of small catastophies (idler pulley freezing up at
speed...water pump, etc.) but the driving experience makes it worthwile.

Tonight, after dropping my daughter off, the "check engine" light came on a
few times. I noticed on the way home that when the car decelerated from
speed, it would surge in power a couple of times.

Is the "check engine" light on the 164 an indication of emmision control
problems or possibly an oxygen sensor going south?  Any suggestions would
be appreciated.  At this time I don't have any shop manuals for this one.

David Nolen

'91 164L
'74 Spider
'68 Porsche 911
'69 Porsche 911 (some assembley required)