Re: Sound deadening material removal?

>>I had a body man look at a stripped down spider body and he recommended that
>>the material on the transmission tunnel and around the drain plugs be removed
>>as your not quite sure if any rust may be under there.  It looks solid, but if
>>your going to do a job do it right.  Any tips on how to remove that material.
>>It looks like an asphalt or tar blanket laid on the transmission tunnel.  The
>>stuff in the floor pans looks like it was tar just poured in.  How to remove
>>it if necessary?

>   Altho I have not tried it yet, a restorer I know of some repute said the
>way to get that gunk off your tunnel and floor is to heat it with a heatgun
>and scrape away with a plaster spatula (putty knife, etc). Definitely a messy
>job that he was happy to have me do before he attended to the floors.

Been, there, done that. With a hot air gun it actually isn't tooooo bad a
job. And you definitely do want to get it off in any region where there
could be rust: once rust gets under the edge (such as around the bungs) it
travels quite a way. At least the stuff comes off very easily where there is
rust....

Have fun!

Mark Battley
Auckland, New Zealand.

1974 Alfa Romeo 2000 GT Veloce

Alfa Romeo 105 series Bertone Coupe home page and register at:
      http://www.geocities.com/MotorCity/1806/105GTV.HTML