Alfasud forerunner-Subaru 1000

Dear Digesti,

Recent discussion regarding Alfasud featuring inboard brakes et al.
propelled me to drop a line about a Japanese forerunner of Alfasud --Subaru
1000.
Take a look at the photo(no description in English;-)
http://www.motorshow.or.jp/data_library/car_history/1966/1966_3.html

Subaru 1000 made its debut in 1966, features basic concept just as seen in
Sud; flat-4 engine, inboard disc brakes, and front wheel drive. Like Sud,
the concept does offer wonderful roadholding thanks to lightweight sprung
parts, rigid front part of monocoque with built-in strut tower bar, and
low-center in mass. Also the front suspension featured zero-scrub; said to
have very natural & crisp response.

Once we had a chance to compare a Subaru 1000 of my dad's friend and a '81
Sud 1.5 Berlina of dad's then daily driver, and wondered how many identical
points they share.
I am not sure Hruska had a chance to drive or to examine a Subaru, but he
and the designer of Subaru 1000 would have agreed on the advantages brought
by those features at least.
No patoriotic point of view, just for your reference.

Taiju Kobayashi
Tokyo, Japan
'66 GTV "Corsa"
'91 75TS