GTV6 won't shift into first

I've had the following problem with shifting my 85 GTV6 ever since I
bought it about a year ago and I cannot seem to find a solution:  When
the car is not moving and the engine is on it is almost impossible to
shift into 1st (or any other gear) from neutral.  It doesn't grind, the
shift lever just refuses (without forcing it too much) to go into gear.
There's two ways I can get around this: 1) Let the car roll a little and
then it shifts fine or 2) In extreme cases I have to turn the engine
off, shift, and start with the clutch pedal down.   When the tranny gets
warm (after a longish ride) things get a little better.  I recently
switched to Redline synthetic and althought it made shifting through the
rest of the gears easier, it didn't help with this problem.  Any

Vangelis
Santa Barbara, CA
85 GTV6
83 Spider