Re: 164 Exhaust Sounds

Taylor wrote: I need some Alfisti advice re: my 91 164S. After 2 years with
a nice Stebro exhaust (center and rear) I have decided I want to change the
sound of my exhaust. I am bored with the Stebro!  It is so polite.
Who's done something interesting here on this issue?  Any good or bad
experiences?  Any thoughts?
Thanks in advance!  Clearly a second childhood issue...

Taylor- I have a 92 164S with a straight pipe where the middle muffler was
and a stock rear muffler. The sound is dark and burbly at idle and very fat
and ripping at speed. The volume is just slightly louder than stock. Not
obnoxious at all. The former owner did this mod when the middle muffler gave
out (I assume). The only unfortunate part is the middle pipe is welded to
the stock rear muffler's pipe, so I'll need a new middle pipe made when the
rust spots in the rear muffler eat through. I've had two other 164Ss with
the stock setup, and really like the sound of the system with the middle
muffler removed.

Rich Lasner
92 164S
Mill Valley CA